I love, love sweetcorn fritters! As a main dish with a salad on the side, or as a side dish to perhaps, a steamed salmon, they're great with everything. They're simple and easy to make and I'm sure you've got the essentials in your food cupboard. Normally I serve them with a Greek yoghurt sauce but you can definitively make alternative dipping sauces. Just add coriander and chilli to the batter and make a sauce with sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger and brown sugar, and voilâ, an instant Asian flavour.
100g self raising flour
2-3 tbsp milk
3 spring onions, trimmed and sliced diagonally
340g tin of sweetcorn, drained sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp oil.
1. Into a blender, place the flour, egg and milk. Add the spring onions and sweetcorn, but leave 2 tablespoons of sweetcorn aside. Blend all the ingredients into a batter. Add the rest of the sweetcorn to the batter.
3. Pour the oil into a frying pan on a medium heat. Once the oil is heated through, add tablespoonfuls of the fritter mixture - four usually makes a good number without cooling the frying pan and stopping the cooking process.
4. Once the underside of the mixture has set slightly, spread the blob out a little and continue to cook until golden brown.
5. Turn the fritter and press down with the back of the spatula, just for a moment or two. Continue to fry until this second side is also golden brown.
6. Place the fritters onto kitchen paper and keep in a warm place until they are all cooked.
Greek Yoghurt Sauce
1 cup of natural Greek yoghurt
1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
dash of olive oil
juice of half a lemon
salt and pepper to taste
bunch of herbs ( parsley, basil, mint, coriander - all or just one type) finely chopped
Mix together in a bowl and serve!